Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dear George Lucas...

I watched "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" on TV yesterday - for the first time in ages.
I thought it was still as enjoyable as always (bar those darned Ewoks, who were still irritating) - that is, until I saw the ending.

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
In the original version of Return of the Jedi, Sebastian Shaw portrayed both the dying Anakin Skywalker (aka Darth Vader) and his ghost, who appears alongside the spirits of Yoda & Obi-Wan Kenobi at the end of the movie:


However, in the version shown on TV, Sebastian Shaw is replaced by Hayden Christensen, who plays Anakin in the prequel movies Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. After a spot of researching, I learned George Lucas tinkered with the ending, apparently to strengthen the relationship between the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy:


I know my response is wayyy too late, but George - whatever your reasons for modifying the ending, I wished you'd remembered the old maxim: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment