Monday, December 25, 2006

Respect due for the "Godfather of Soul"



I was already feeling a tad melancholy (obviously with a relative in hospital over Christmas, one's thoughts are concentrated on his well-being).

Then I hear the news that James Brown, "Godfather of Soul" is dead at the age of 73. He was admitted to hospital in Atlanta after being diagnosed with severe pneumonia but died at 0145 local time (0645 GMT).

I couldn't BEGIN to measure the impact James Brown had on music. In an era of "pop idols", James Brown is up there with Elvis and The Beatles.

In short, the man was a LEGEND, period.I know of his problems - but hey, none of us are perfect.

To say Hip-Hop owes James, big time is an understatement....
And as a forty-something black man, I still get chills up my spine when I listen to "Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud".

He had the FUNK, all right.....RIP, Godfather.
Soul star James Brown dies at 73

No comments:

Post a Comment