Monday, December 31, 2007

Here's hoping for 2008...


I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear

Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

2007 has been a rather distressing year and I'm more than happy to bid farewell to it tonight. I don't have any New Year resolutions (since I never keep them anyway), but I have hopes for the future...

I hope in 2008, people will look beyond blinkered religous dogma and respect the different beliefs held by others (but that's already a forlorn hope - according to reports, three bomb blasts injured 27 people, many of them celebrating the New Year in the southern Thai tourist town of Sungai Kolok. Muslim insurgents are suspected behind the attack)....

I hope in 2008 that our young men will think twice before using a knife or a gun to take another's life. As of December 25th 2007, 26 young lives were cut short on the streets of London (I also hope that my fellow Londoners will enjoy tonight's New Year celebrations without fear of violence towards them)....

I hope in 2008 that Burma, Darfur, Afganistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Kenya and other troubled corners of this world will know peace....

And I hope for all of us that 2008 is better than 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment