Sunday, March 4, 2007

The surveillance society?


I'm still more or less undecided on ID cards, but that doesn't mean I'm not worried about them.
I already carry other forms of identification, so I shouldn't have any issues whatsoever carrying an ID card, since I have nothing to hide. Also several European Union countries now have some form of ID card (even if they are not compulsory).
However, I strongly resent having to pay between £100 - £300 for this card. When I decide to travel abroad, then I pay for a passport. Should I decide to take up driving a car, then I'll willingly pay for a driving licence. Because I decide to watch TV, I pay for a TV license.
So why should I be forced to give this government my hard earned money on something that's their idea? If ID cards will help combat terrorism, fine - but don't insult the intelligence of the British public by asking us to to pay.
Also what guarantee is there that the information held on our ID cards, wouldn't be abused by future governments? For example:

There has been reports that some primary schools have stored children's thumb prints for computerised class registers and libraries without parental consent (under the Data Protection Act, schools do not have to seek parental consent to take and store children's fingerprints). This government is considering proposals to fingerprint children aged 11 to 15 as part of the new passport and ID card plans.

And a report released last year by a group of academics called the Surveillance Studies Network predicts that by 2016 shoppers could be scanned as they enter stores, schools could bring in cards allowing parents to monitor what their children eat, and jobs may be refused to applicants who are seen as a health risk.

Already Westminster Council (in central London) has piloted a scheme installing microphones on lampposts to augment CCTV coverage with audio snooping.
Q&A: Identity card plans
How we are being watched
Britain is 'surveillance society'
Child fingerprint plan considered

No comments:

Post a Comment