Saturday, December 6, 2008

Woolworths Group plc: 1909 - 2008


Well, I'm back from my holidays and I have a few questions to raise in my blog, starting with...the demise of UK retailer Woolworths. The firm, which collapsed late last month, has 815 stores and employs over 25,000 people.

The administrator Deloitte is in talks with a number of companies said to be interested in Woolworths' assets. It is thought that Sainsbury's, Asda, Tesco, the Co-op and discount chain Poundland are interested in picking up some of the retailer's prime stores. Despite the interest, tens of thousands now face redundancies. Indeed administrators of Woolworths have just cut 450 jobs in support operations at their offices in London and Rochdale.
Woolworths cuts 450 support jobs

I remember visiting the store as a kid with my mum for their pic'n'mix sweets and Airfix model kits, and I've read all the stories about how folks are upset about the passing of "Woolies".

But if we're so saddened at the collapse of Woolworths, how come nobody visited their shops recently (except for last-minute gifts)? When was the last time anyone bought anything of any value there?
The sad truth is, while the British shopping public are fond of Woolworths, it was well past its sell-by date...
Woolworths set for administration

No comments:

Post a Comment