Friday, April 28, 2006

The next England manager is NOT.....


Portugal's Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari - who said today that he had withdrawn from the running to become England manager, citing his feelings for Portugal and the recent amount of press intrusion since his name surfaced two days ago as a likely candidate to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson.
"There are 20 reporters outside my house now," he said. "If that is part of another culture, it is not part of my culture. I am not the coach, and will not be England's coach."
Good for him (even if some have claimed he was motivated by monetary reasons)!!
When Scolari's name was touted as a major possibility for the England manager's job, the xenophobic statements from some quarters were predictable and nauseating.
I'll especially remember ex-Arsenal footballer Ian Wright's diatribe:
"I would prefer that the FA chose an Englishman and spend years in the wilderness and not win the World Cup rather than have a foreign manager and win the World Cup."
I hope those words don't come back to haunt Wrighty....
England job not for me - Scolari

No comments:

Post a Comment